QUALITIES OF A WISE HEALER
1. Approaches the disease in terms of effect on the integrity of the whole person.
2. Respects the personal space of the patient and uses touch that is endearing and respectful, rather that solely invasive.
3. Understands the illness on the spectrum of time, and the tendency of nature vs a course of potential intervention.
4. Does not extract from the patient more than he gives, e.g. debt factor
5. Works from a theoretical or experiential background that is rooted in reliability and validity.
6. Works from a solid ethical base and respects the patient from this base.
7. Induces a sense of self-responsibility to the patient, realizing that healing is primarily a personal responsibility.
8. Deals effectively with the sense of fear that is generated in the disease, process.
9. Help to deal with the repercussions of an illness and disease, eg. guilt, depression, debt.
10. Shines a sense of compassion to allow the patient to feel as if the healer knows of the burden of suffering he is experiencing.
11. Feedbacks to the patient that he has heard the major complaints and understands them and seeks to relieve the patient at least of these complaints. (follows the patient's agenda)
12. Sees beyond the surface of the symptoms to the ramifications of the disease within.
13. Respects the will of the patient and his most profound intentions and beliefs as the primarily directive factor.
14. Helps the patient understand his karmic debt, ie, his beliefs and behaviors that may have influenced the development of the disease and discomfort, and seeks to relieve this debt.
15. Through his magnetism in the community, attracts to himself, those in most in need of his particular services.
16. Beliefs himself to be a vehicle of healing, rather than the source of healing itself, and recognizes with due humility the divine forces of nature, and the import of those who have come before him. Ego is diminished.
17. Helps those involved with the patient to understand the disease and illness, and implicates how they might help in the healing process.
18. Refuse to be drowned by the patient's plea to become personally involved, but behaves much like a catalyst, hastening the healing process, without being consumed.
19. Draws from a source of strength that is easily replenished, keeeping his reserve at an adequate level.
20. Has proven his own honor within his own health and within his own sphere of influence.
21. Understands his own limitations and the limitations of his patients, and maximizes his work within those limits.
22. Knows the community resources and refers/consults them as appropriate for the healing.
23. Understands both the bodily physiology and pathology, as well as the energetic pathology and physiology, and knows how to establish a homeostasis and balance.
24. Is open to the healing systems that seem worthy and has an attitude of "innocent until proven guilty", but sees all with a worthy degree of skeptism until their utility is proven.
25. Does what he can to teach other healers of his art, in attempt to further evolve the healing--and understands himself as a link in a chain.
26. Has a "dispelling radiance" that shines, giving light to all who care to see.